Saturday, October 8, 2011

Europe Trip, Sweden.


As I thought London was little bit warm, I was expecting the same with Stockholm as they are not  that far from each other. But I was totally wrong. I was shivering at the airport's immigration and this place was the coldest one I've ever been so far.

It took me about 2 hours flight to reach Stockholm from London and I spent 2 nights there. I didn't have much time to spend to have a look around here though as the schedule is quite pack. With total populations estimated around 800,000, Stockholm might not be as busy London is, but still, the old school persona is still there. It's a city with a character. Enjoying the scenery and the old township just blew me away. It's how they keep this heritage buildings for hundred of years is unbelievable. 

I manage to have a little chat with some students during our dinner at the Malaysian Embassy. I got to know that the tax here in Sweden is rather high, but almost everything with social development such as school and universities fees are supported by the Government. Maybe losing almost 40% to your total monthly income for taxing is nothing if have such facilities.

Almost everything here is ridiculously expensive. It's almost the double price from what you get in London. They said, if you want to save a little money, DIY (Do it yourselves). If converted, it's like you spend almost or maybe you can reach 100 ringgit per meal. The price of a fridge magnet is about 60kroner (RM30) which in London you can get the 1/5 of the price with the same quality. Shocking isn't it? No wonder they can come over to our place and spend only their 2 weeks saving for a 1 month vacation. So people, that is why having high income nation is really important. 

I managed to get on a hop-on hop-off for couple of hours but I didn't have time to visit the places as time is running out fast. It's only for sight seeing purpose but the tour is priceless.

I took a train to Oslo on my last day at Stockholm and got the chance to witness the view of the countryside of Sweden. The houses are rather small with typical Scandinavian home (with white frame windows) and their farms. Their forest is absolutely different from ours, mostly are pines. 

Sweden is a absolutely a beautiful country. Save money and have a visit over here.
Simply amazing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment