Thursday, July 12, 2012

Roman Numbers


I was rushing preparing a paperwork just now, and my boss said that the Appendixes should be paged with roman numerals. Ok. That is cool, but when it go through big numbers till 20 plus pages, I got confused.

I am usually good with numbers. Come on, not only that good,  I am a genius.
But not with Romans. Caesar might have sentenced me to death if was ever his advisor. FOr me, Roman numerals usually comes till 13, which is XIII and no further than that. So, I checked in the wikipedia to study and do my deep research. Yes, a very deep one. And it came up, that they are really that simple.

Ok. All you have to do is to remembers these basic symbols.
1 = I
5 = V
10 = X
50 = L
100 C
500 D
1,000 M

3 = 1 + 1 + 1 = III
4 = 5 - 1 = IV (1 is located in front of 5, if it is for subtraction)
And there you go. See, I am really that genius.
So, example, what is 674 in Roman?
500 + 100 + 50 + 10 + 10 + (5 - 1)
D + C + L + X + X + IV
DCLXXIV

Genius! Haha.
I really think I should write a book. @@

0 comments:

Post a Comment